Accidents involving slips and falls on icy sidewalks or steps are all too common. The inherently slick nature of surfaces covered with ice, snow and freezing rain make walking on these surfaces dangerous. If you slipped on ice in a parking lot, sidewalk or anywhere else, be sure to visit AFC Urgent Care Lyndhurst for a thorough check up. Here are some statistics about slips and falls.
- Fall fatalities are nearly equally divided between men and women
- Falls account for over 8 million hospital emergency room visits, representing the leading cause of visits (21.3%).
- Fractures are the most serious consequences of falls and occur in 5% of all people who fall.
- 67% of fall fatalities are among people aged 75 years or older.
- Each year in the United States, one of every three persons over the age of 65 will experience a fall. Half of which are repeat fallers.
- According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, falls account for 11% for men & 5% for women of the job-related fatalities.
- Slips and falls do not constitute a primary cause of fatal occupational injuries, but represent the primary cause of lost days from work.
- Slips and falls are the leading cause of workers’ compensation claims and are the leading cause of occupational injury for people aged 55 years and older.
AFC Urgent Care Lyndhurst is here to take care of you and your loved ones. If you slip and fall, it might not seems like anything, but an injury may have occured. Visit us at 560 New York Ave Lyndhurst first!