When your child returns to school, it can often mean a renewed exposure to germs and possible injuries. AFC Urgent Care Lyndhurst has a tried and true list of recommendations to keep your kids healthy, even when they aren’t with you. Here is our back-to-school health kit, a complete list of the portable tools and items that can make the school day much healthier, without much effort on your part. This health kit can fit in your child’s backpack, or can be carried to school like a lunch bag or purse.
- Hand sanitizer and/or cleansing wipes. Children can get their hands into some dirty things, and you want your child to have a quick and easy way to clean up. These are portable and easy-to-use options to help them keep clean. Learning can be messy, but your child doesn’t have to wear the mess home!
- Small bandages and antibiotic ointment. If your child knows how to use these, they can prevent a small injury from becoming a big infection. And they won’t have to miss class time going to get a bandage from the nurse’s office.
- Facial tissues. A runny nose can spread germs like wildfire, so instead of letting your child walk around dripping, have them bring a small pack of tissues with them in their health kit. When your child manages to keep a cold to themselves instead of spreading it around the classroom, their teachers will thank you.
- Any medications or special items. This can include an inhaler, contact lens solution or anything that your child might need throughout the day. Having these items on hand will give your child a feeling of independence, and help them begin to take charge of their health when they’re away from you.
- Family emergency plan. A parent’s greatest fear is that their child will be caught up in a scary situation with no way to reach them. In the event of an emergency, you want your child to be able to contact you or know how to reach help. Additionally, if your child falls unconscious for some reason, they should have something on their person that explains any medical conditions and the best way to reach you.
With a back-to-school health kit, you can be sure that your child will be able to stay healthy during the school day. Your child will have the tools to be independent, and you will have peace of mind knowing that your child is being kept safe. Visit your local AFC Urgent Care Lyndhurst for more ideas on how to keep your kids healthy and safe as they return to school.